The calmbirth® philosophy is based on the belief that pregnancy, labour and birth are normal life events. It is a natural process and when a birthing couple embraces this they are able to birth their baby calmly and joyfully.
- was developed to eliminate fear, anxiety and tension which many women experience during pregnancy, labour and birth.
- acknowledges how a mother’s body is perfectly designed to birth her baby with wonder and joy.
- recognises the role of the father or birthing companion is vitally important to a woman’s birth experience.
- empowers and allows couples to take control of their own birthing experience.
- offers a combination of theory and skills to help establish the bond between a couple and baby.
Calmbirth® techniques teach couples to tap into inner resources we naturally possess. An environment is created in the classes where personal healing can take place, and hence eliminating the fear, anxiety and nervousness associated with labour and birth.
The calmbirth® programme was developed by Peter Jackson, who as a midwife working in country hospitals for over 20 years, witnessed many mothers whose experience of childbirth was one of fear, anxiety and trauma. The calmbirth® program is the result of Peter’s experience and search for a way to help mothers rediscover their birth power and joy.
Information adapted from the calmbirth® brochure 2012.